isamlq

isamlq

God-Shaped Hole - Tiffanie DeBartolo 3.5/5God Shaped Hole gives me what I wanted out of HTKRS. Recall, that that one had me wishing it ended at a certain point, going on as it did took away from the depth of what I was feeling, the ending felt contrived and much too Hollywood. I still hold that the forced happily ever after in no way compares to the open ending that could have been. This does not suffer that. Bottom line, it’s a love story, with a fortuitous meeting of like souled people (both so well matched in fact that one of them makes a hokey comparison to Siamese twin souls. Ha! I laughed and cringed at how corny it sounded (still sounds) even if they are precisely that, except I wish they could have described it more smoothly.) I’m rambling, but my point is the two are both prone to over stating their feelings and going off on too deep looks into each others eyes/ bodies/souls. It’s something I would have had an easy time poking fun at, save the fact that one of them reminded me a little too much of how I was, could be, and can still be: Trixie. Well on her way to becoming bitter disillusioned twenty something trapped in her version of hell (LA.) She is distant from her family add that the one person close to her is just as non-adjusted as she is. And that’s me. She’s self described as godless, faithless and expectant of the disappointment that people are bound to bring with them. It’s the last that allows her to be all ‘Do as you please and I’ll do the same’. And you see, that made sense to me if a bit depressed. Then Jacob who reads so impossibly good. He says these words and thus adds a lightness to things. Though that’s not apt either, because perfectly matched as they are he too is burdened and prone to feeling deeply, too deeply. Here I’m half tempted to make a Paul comparison but not really, because where Paul is all deep and sad, sad soul, Jacob is something else; it's what allows him to open Trixie to other possibilities.The most honest thing here is how they put people in categories so that when one or two or all of those people pegged one way act contrary to what’s expected, they’re so unsure about what to now. But My point? (And I swear I have one): They’re not perfect, no one around them is perfect, But the two of them? They’re perfect for each other. To be honest, I my enjoyment of this was a constant thing especially as I compare it to what reading Hot to Kill did to me; that one dragged my emotions every which way and this one didn't. It's more quiet somehow, the things put before them them not loud in the dramatics (something I have come to loathe of late,) but more normal. I am sure we all love those a good cute meet now and then, but this one is all about what comes after that. Showing that though soul mate they might have been for each other, he could still be a**hole some time... and so could she.Good stuff.