isamlq

isamlq

Burn for Burn - Jenny Han, Siobhan Vivian 3.5/5A tale of three girls wronged, now looking to get back some of their own. As with other stories of this type there are those blind spots and little (then not so little) matters they fail to foresee so that you just know that something big was coming at them… and when those things finally do become clear, they’re all little prepared to deal. Of the three, I enjoyed Lillia’s the most. Popular girl but doesn’t lord it over everyone else, she seemed most stable of them except perhaps not so stable after all because she’s angry girl, too: over what could have been done and angry over what wasn’t. Then couple that with mama bear tendencies as well as friends who don’t act like friends and I was on the edge of my seat seeing things unfold. Then there’s Kat who reads much angrier than Lillia. She’s outside looking in, but tougher for it. And finally Mary, who reads sadder and definitely more damaged than the two. It’s her history that solidifies their intent because if at first about getting back some of their own, after there’s a whole layer other protective feeling created over her. It was more than interesting to see their plans go from one mildly funny prank to the next then progress toward to something else altogether. Told by each, it’s their memories that lay down each their need to get even. So we see their why’s (with one story after another proving that revenge is indeed a personal matter.) But more than that it’s also their memories that provide for a sharp contrast between what was and where they each are now. Clearly, Lilia has had it good; clearly, Kat used to as well; and clearly, Mary has had it the roughest… so that they don’t make it easy on a body to like or dislike them completely. In fact the very same thing could be said for the people in their crosshairs, especially with each (not so) little discovery made along the way.Except coming totally out of left field was a certain paranormal element. A game changer if ever there was one, it switches the story from what’s already fascinating (if getting even is your thing) to something else entirely. To be honest, I don’t know how I feel about it: on one had, I’m dying to see where the authors take it; on the other, I wish they’d have stuck to it. Keep it simple with mind games, property damage and taking people down a peg or two (or a whole lot more) and setting them in their place seems far more plausible therefore far more terrifying than any paranormal what’s-it being introduced. Good start… I am definitely picking up the next one.