isamlq

isamlq

What Happens Next - Colleen Clayton I just want to say that Corey Livingston has won my heart. But to the book, despite my complaints (and I did have some,) this one has won me over. The unexpected consequences of unplanned actions pushed forward by her wanting something else puts holes in her memory. And while she can’t remember, oddly enough she can’t forget either. So we watch her life spiral beyond what she’s familiar with: from one of a trio, college bound and comfortable with who she is, Sid morphs into this haunted girl who sees herself in a different light. There are a lot of threads to follow, starting with her insecurity over her body… it’s always been there for her, except this insecurity moves towards something else altogether after. Then add this, memories not dealt with, and later on an isolation that she doesn’t choose so one might think WHAT HAPPENS NEXT has the makings of a too-heavy a read, it does and it doesn’t, because while those things are happening, there were also some positives too. To start she’s a girl who knows who her family is and how they work; they’re a unit. A moment in it has her choosing to tell or not to, “Horror or anger- the choice is mine.” Needless to say, the choice she made after everything else that had happened had me paying even more attention to her. Then there’s the boy who smelled of cinnamon and soap. I love that he’s described like Shaggy because it put him in a different category of cute altogether. But not just cute, I enjoyed the little mysterious thing he had going fro him. His reputation is not quite stellar but as stories like these go one ought not ever judge someone on others say so… because he proved time and again that he is so much more. His is an aspect you now where things were headed, but I appreciated it nonetheless… because theirs were sweet moments.I could say that WHAT HAPPENS NEXT runs along typically enough: ~Girl meets trouble. ~Girl withdraws. ~Girl makes newfound companion(s) coupled with then burning of bridges (sort of) ~And the girl opens herself to other things (…both the good and the bad). Except this one’s got heart… and as said it’s won me over.3.5/5