isamlq

isamlq

Ferocity Summer - Alissa Grosso There’s a young man with death on his trail; Another, who makes no sense, at first anarchistic then later a tendency to be angel on her shoulder;That odd addition of knight in shining armor (only not quite because dig deeper and you see hero-complex coupled with lust and later confusion;) And finally a best friend on self-destruct. Ferocity Summer is shades darker than what I’ve been reading of late. In full honesty, it’s not a story I can say I enjoyed; what it is was gripping. In the midst of those moments of odd/funny with the bomb making and palm reading, is girl-obsessed Scilla. A host of adjectives spring to mind: She’s self-involved and directionless; She’s real and too honest when it counts; She’s trusting, loyal, and yes, often the moron;BUT with all those flaws (and obviously there are many) she fascinated me still especially with that misplaced sense of loyalty of hers that time and again halted her sense of self preservation. My point? It’s not easy being Scilla. She and Willow are running away from something and in the process get themselves mixed up in the big and the bad. This then drags in more players. It’s this that stirs up a non-romance that later on has her alluding to semi incestuous fantasies of brothers and sisters… (at this point I need not point out that Scilla is indeed her own person.) But while all this is happening two aspects to her Scilla become emphasized: first she’s angry teen and hopeless pessimist, then moments later there’s that side of her that clings to what used to be: her and Willow all shiny and bright~ which is sadly so far from what really is.It’s not even her pessimistic bent that got me in her corner. It’s on account of her acknowledging things being the way they were because of their choices. The deeper asides care of her mother on fault needing to be laid, had me even more interested. My point, again? Both mother and daughter had a way of saying things to make things clear but make you flinch, too. You cannot fault them their honesty. For despite all Scilla’s messing about and her running away from reality, she doesn’t step back from calling things as they are when they matter. I’m not saying that she’s girl-misunderstood, or that underneath it all she’s a saint, (she’s so far from those) but that she acknowledges that she isn’t either is what I liked. When the chips are down, maybe you might be the source of every crappy thing that’s ever happened to you… ...All people make their own decisions and their own mistakes in life. I’m all too aware of this. 3/5