isamlq

isamlq

The Disenchantments - Nina LaCour 4.5/5i found myself doing something i’d not done in the longest time while reading a book. i normally just zip through these then throw out the points that’s left an impact on me. usually, i come away with what i liked and didn’t like (an isa meets so and so plus highlights, if you will.) but this one? this one had me reaching for my pen to jot down thoughts i didn’t want let by. and while i’ve ended up with another one of my meet the characters (here: colby and bev) thing, i’m not complaining because i loved them… true, despite us having started out on shaky ground.i’d been in a pisser of a mood of late, finding little funny in what should have been and nitpicking over the littlest details. run ragged irl, the last couple of books hadn’t allow me the fun i was wanting . in that mood, i was sorely tempted to chuck this, so i put it on hold… smart decision on my part because had i not, all the ‘we’re arty students and not the typical teenage set’ would have annoyed me no end: colby, painting a very clear picture of how they were each dressed and how they each had their own thing, had me thinking, ‘you guys think too much’ (presently of course i think i’m no better than an idiot for complaining over that; better to think too much than not at all, yes?) but really, I was calling them poseurs in my head, but can you blame me with one girl running around channeling her inner flower child and the rest of them voicing their inner grrls. worse yet, me tossing this was becoming more and more likely with him proving that there's a direct relationship between how deep his musings could get to how slowly the meanings of what bev was (or more apt: wasn't) doing would sink in! so that in the moment that he finally grasped it: the poor guy was floored! by that point, annoyed me got swept off to the side by the pity I felt for him. (really, though: the poor guy!) so there i was: hooked despite a story line already done to death of boy in love with his bff, thinking (wanting) the other clueless on the matter. but with the truth coming out, one moody page and one moody character at a time, i was going to see it through.a lot of what happens is because he lives with his head in the clouds so that each time he’d comes down from it, he’d get smacked by the truth. either this boy needed some hugs or maybe some time to really look around him because their shared history was not similarly experienced by the two of them. and it could have been so easy just to pity him and despise her for him because of that, but it's not! yes, they’re both moody; their ups and downs had me wondering how they’d survive being in a car together, but they’re also more than that. moments revealed the positives, the funny and the real, like the fact that they’re all just stretching out those last moments of being together. and that was just bitter sweet because they’re all finally stepping out on their own, and they want to do so but also don’t want to. the exciting is all mixed with the terrifying, i supposeso, i loved this (craptastic start, notwithstanding.) there’s that neat connection to their respective pasts. And how they each want what they do and act the way they do because some person did something or some other person said that something else. i love that idea: that consequences ripple on. it’s not just their story, but other people’s too. and it’s not even the music and the road trip that has me feeling good right now (those were tiny bonuses.)mostly, i loved the musings; boys and girl and let downs; finding someone out (several someone’s in fact) and then the lot of them getting their shit together and growing up, being all hopeful about it at first, then owning up to how scary the same was. but my favorite bit is him figuring out the hard way that who you think a person is is sometimes miles and miles away from who they really are. and that what one wants doesn’t always jive and doesn’t’ always have to go with what someone else does. this was a lovely read.