isamlq

isamlq

Blind Spot - Laura Ellen Things went from confusing to mysterious to frustrating and unfair and then to so utterly stupid. Granted the ‘stupid’ came in, much later, but it’s also on its account that my appreciation for things in BLIND SPOT died a quick and unexpected death. Seriously though it’s been a long while since I’ve been disappointed in a book’s turn out! It’s all very complicated from the start for Roz with absent father and overworked mother, the girl’s got a chip on her shoulder the size of Mt. Rushmore! Without fail, the girl’s all, “I’m not special… I just can’t see well.” So when made to attend Special Ed class, everything seemed to be an insult against her with just about everyone seemingly out to get her. Of course, considering her best friend had just dropped her, you’d think she’d be over the moon at having new people approach her… and there were many who approached, so suddenly at that! I mean there’s The Jock, that weird manic pretty girl who’s so out of this world and Stanford or cute shy guy as he is initially labeled.It’s all very upsetting/frustrating/confusing too… It’s authentically frustrating how unfair things got… and I was sitting here wondering why everyone else is letting things slide! Except at the back of my head, I was also wondering if I could rely on her side of the story at all, because what she’s told had me wondering if there was something she wasn’t telling. Was some vital piece being held back? So there I was: doubting the narrator and at the same time feeling sorry for her because I was simply unsure about things, but the worse thing is how her words got second place to what everyone else has to say. I can’t say I enjoyed it… but the goings on riled something in me.Add that not so complicated boy girl goings on: the girl likes the boy who treats her badly, another guy likes the same girl but the girl is unaware, so it all becomes a little pedestrian, so standard YA. Except wait a couple of beats and you see a side to some of them. Some of them don’t back down, some of them say some pretty crappy things, but then there are also others among them who have their heads buried deep in the sand totally oblivious to what is. So, I don’t know if I enjoyed this part at all because a lot of the time all I wanted was for them to have a sit down and talk things through, minus the assuming, minus the fuming, and minus the unsupported jealousies.And when so suddenly, Roz starts putting things together and finally starts thinking, I confess I wasn’t exactly thrilled by the change. Instead I was more SURPRISED by her going from, “She said... He said… And I heard this,” to connecting the dots. And she’s not the only one who changes too! Mostly the shift in the story line: I was kind of enjoying (but not completely, mind you)semi-smart mystery where you just don’t know whose word to put stock that it BLIND SPOT was going for at first. I was even sorta loving the whole people have got something to hide thing as well; but all that went bye- bye once Roz went all Velma on me and started in on an episode of Scooby Doo! It’s the shift into the last I could not enjoy, let alone buy, simply because it was so sudden. Imagine if your dog suddenly spewing mathematical formula and you can approximate how I felt. Because once she starts suggesting they pull together and do this or that, all I’m recalling is her having her head buried in the sand for most of the book just moments before. Also, the things she was suggesting? It really seemed to come straight out of Scooby Doo, minus cute dopey dog and skinny shaggy haired duo to make laugh.1.5/5What a waste of a good cover.