isamlq

isamlq

One Lonely Degree - C.K. Kelly Martin 3.75/5The girl is Set apart. Intense. And yes, I’d even say lonely. More, having hard time with the changes going on. She’s an intense girl who feels everything deeply - too deeply. With all that in mind, things are not made easier with her needing only a few deep connections. So she has those: one deep connection with Audrey, the only person who knows most everything about her then, and another close(ish) relationship with her father. But when her hated “anything is possible” rears its head, things start shifting and it’s in these moments that we see more of her: that she get’s in her own head; that she feels even more;and things can get too much (especially for her);and later that she tries to do the right thing…even if it’s the hard thing. For me this was better than MARTIN’s first book that I read because where that had death and grief and a star (well, not really); this one’s more about a girl and things changing, coming to grips with what can’t be changed and just letting things go the way they’re going. And Finn being such a control freak, you can imagine just how hard things could get for her! Then again, perhaps that’s the common thread between these two books that has me so impressed; there’s a coming to grips and an acceptance of things for what they are and (trying to) move on.So, things got Slow. Soft. Sad. The girl’s emotions are laid out for us to wade through. With Finn it’s all about being set apart and different, as such all her emotions come out stronger. And for the most part, almost nothing really big happens, but by its end everything’s changed! Her introduction that you can’t really pinpoint the exact moment of change, is true… but I witnessed everything she felt as things progressed, so that even when I couldn’t quite agree with what’s going on or with her choices, I still came away knowing her. Why? Because it’s all based on what she was feeling at the moment. And you’d think things would get boring with all the girl’s asides on what she was feeling given all that’s going on and the people in it, but it didn’t! She drew me in and had me feeling for/with her. She leads an almost insulated day to day perhaps because she does feel so intensely, and though she seems so alone, and at first glance lonely, may be she was not? Or maybe she was? My point is I felt things here… and though it reads contradictory: at first nothing actually happens but in the end everything’s changed.