isamlq

isamlq

A Conspiracy of Kings - Megan Whalen Turner In a way I have THE FALSE PRINCE to thank for finally picking A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS up. I’d hoped to hold out ‘till the rest of THE THIEF series was out, but all that FALSE PRINCE lacked had me missing what Gen and his stories possessed. So that with Gen’s “Your time will come, puppy. You just wait.” Right now, I’m all, He certainly has! Brilliant, is all: brilliant characters, brilliant story, in a brilliant world of people struggling not to be defined by defined by their circumstance simply doing what they must. And though I thought I knew where things were headed and sometimes I called it right, most other times (most frequently often) I’d be off the mark. And I loved that aspect of this: that there are still some things that can take me by surprise. Except I really shouldn’t be surprised with Gen in the picture it’s actually best to chuck any expectations out the window and go with things. And this is starting to read like a love letter to Gen... (I have no qualms about making this about that,) when really this is more about Sounis and how things are going on in his part of the peninsula. In fact, he takes his cue from Gen being as big and as unexpected in where he takes things. He shines in this one, even with all the self doubt and wanting something else. It's his reluctance to be who he is and what follows after that which proves how much he’d grown and still he managed to let me catch glimpses of who he was when first encountered!4.5/5