isamlq

isamlq

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover After the drama that Slammed offered, I thought that something nice and easy was what would be in store for the two of them. But if anything things just got a tad bit more complicated. And though there were a couple of epically romantic moments in this on, I wasn’t moved by the same as I’d usually be. Why, though? Sure, the poem reading and the suck and sweet moments elicited from me a couple of ‘Aaws,’ but nothing more really. Have all those dark moody reads rendered me jaded? I don’t think so. Heck, I’ll even admit to liking him as the narrator because it gave their story a whole new different feel. If the first one had me squirmy and slightly uncomfortable with their positions, I didn’t feel the same way here. At all. There’s no line between the two anymore. Instead, it’s just them getting used to each other or more accurately them being used to each other already. So of course, there’s drama that came out of nowhere to shake up their little bubble of non-traditional familial bliss. So, I dug the non-traditional thing that’s offered here. I might have raised a brow at how perfectly matchy- matchy their situations were on the outside (and honestly, I did a couple of times…) but they’re not perfect all the time. She’s so young… and so is he. I think it’s their age and the insecurity that amped up the drama… just because they had grown up roles didn’t make them grown ups. I think. He did pull some douche-y moves in this one, and she reacted predictably too. But back to the non-traditional thing, them alluding to what they’d do once Kel or Caulder would reach some age had me wondering how they’d do it. It was these moments that were funny, them thinking about what they should do but going the big brother/older sister route instead. I actually liked this aspect of them figuring out what was right for them. Then them figuring out what’s right for them as a couple... that was interesting. The doubts she expressed were my own, so I was quite glad to see it addressed here. But it’s him dealing with her doubts that allowed for more of my otherwise comatose romantic self’s heart to go pitter-patter (sometimes.) But why not all the time? Sometimes things just dragged on. In fact, I felt like a some of it (maybe the last 1/8 near the end) was tacked on when it need not have been. 2/5