isamlq

isamlq

Touch of Power - Maria V. Snyder This is my second go at this and I still enjoyed it (mind you, I didn’t love love love it.) Anyway, this time around the one most notable for me isn’t heroic girl who’s always finding herself in trouble, or the stoic good guy who acts like a bad guy half the time, or it’s even the merry band of men the two of them are leading. Rather it’s the baddy, Tohon! This guy still ranks among the creepiest baddies I’ve read in a long while~ all suave and confident that his way is right, made even more interesting (creepy, actually) given his particular brand of touch magic. So why the bad guy and not the rest of them? Well, if you were to take away their particular brand of special, there really isn’t much to them. Not much save that she’s a good girl trying to do the right thing, and he’s a good guy trying to do a great thing… and the rest of them are following along. Now, it’s the touch of magic in this one (pun!) that I enjoyed most though for the life of me I still fell like I’ve come across something similar to it already. That said, what made them special is special, indeed. They heal, they control life, they control death then there are others who rule over some aspect of the elements. Then all that? All that’staking place in world ripped apart by a plague with more than one insane “leader” fighting over what’s left of the fifteen realms, so pulled in I truly was. And it’s in that setting that she’s plagued (geez! puns left and right!) with questions as to who’s the bad guys and who are the allies then finding herself wrong on her assessment of either. A Touch of Power is fun and given the sarcastic bent of a couple of the leads in this one, reading of their adventures was an easy. though perhaps it’s the lack of something more to all of them that made reading this so very very easy. I was glad for a couple of surprises that came out of nowhere, including the death of close ones and something that rhymes with the rombies.(Yes, that last bit took me totally by surprise.)2.5/5