isamlq

isamlq

Iced - Karen Marie Moning 3.5/5Took me all of ten minutes to get used to Dani as MC. She’s definitely no Mac whose own story starts with the girl all cute and funny and bumbling about; Dani is the opposite in knowing her place in things. The girl sees things a certain way and because of this sometimes fails to see other possibilities. But add that odd aspect of her that stuck more than once: some sort of innocence that drew others to her. I mean After The Wall Crashed and even before that she’d seen things and done things… yet through all that there’s some thing more to her… something that’s pulls others to her. I liked this and disliked this because each time she spoke, her age showed. 14?! And it got ergh... weird (?) how she'd see, all Mega and superhero head strong; and have that opposed to how others saw her. And it’s not even that she’s unaware, but more like she’s not concerned.Except it’s also on account of the girl’s lack of concern over what others have think of her and what should be done, that’s she says some of the most hilarious things. She’s a funny kid… except she’s a girl surrounded by not so funny others. I sort of liked that opposition, too~ her all good (but bad ass at the same time), then the rest of them not good at all. Because the fact is they each know what they are and didn’t bother with pretense. It’s the last that allowed for some refreshingly upfront moments... but also plenty of the very uncomfortable ones. All that said, I liked this but didn't love it. First, I doubt there’s any book out there that could beat the feelings that Books four and five in Fever brought out in me. Second, I was hoping for some old people to pop back in *Barrons* Now, the question is does Ryodan match up? “I can’t decide if what he just let me see was real – or another of his games. They don’t call him master of manipulation for nothing. Barron breaks heads. Ryodan turns them inside out. Barrons fucks you up. Ryodan makes you fuck yourself up. He pushes buttons and rearranges things according to his own private, coolly sociopathic plan.” Reading that, one would think Ryodan is indeed all that (and wish it true, too) except really there’s too little to support it. I mean Ryodan’s scary and mysterious, and a lot like with Mac with Barrons, Dani (and thus we) knew next to nothing about the guy! In fact, it’s that not-knowing pushed me on, but the guy doesn’t have that much face time proving what a big bad baddy he could be. Mostly he showed what a douche he was. There were also other areas all ready covered. Take the whole Vlane-Mac-Barrons thing that felt redone but upped with Christian-Dani-Rodyan, and you’d almost feel disappointed at having to go over the same material again, and I almost did… except it’s all simply exceptionally done. Old hat love triangle with same characters different name, is truth… but gosh darn it: I was entertained!And have I mentioned the funny? This got hilarious at points.“You could ask me to teach you.”“Huh?” This night is getting weird in a hurry. “Teach me like you’re teaching a class or something? What are you going to call it: ‘You To Can Be a Sociopath 101?”“It would be more like a graduate – level class.”