isamlq

isamlq

Betwixt - Melissa Pearl My hopes were high yet here I am in Meh Land all over again. I’m scrolling down seeing all those 4’s and 5’s and wondering if I’d I read something else. My problems started with the guy’s reaction: there’s an easy acceptance of things in this one; an almost too easy acceptance of goings on. I’m also trying to recall the title of that movie where the guy lives on after being bludgeoned to death by his buddies. His rich and A-hole and smart-ish. BETWIXT is like that only girl version and minus most of the mystery solving because if you’re paying attention solving this is a no-brainer. So it’s actually less a mystery and more about her facing fact: She is Mean Girl. And it’s in her state that she sees the life she’s made for herself. And what a view! As her life isn’t much of a life after all, but once you grasp WHY she’s that way, then tears start flowing because the girl has this history. And it makes her the mean girl for a reason.It’s a sad reason too - almost enough to make her more than the girl who blurts out the meanest things without thinking things through - but for some reason it was lost on me. Is there a chunk of coal in the place where my heart used to be? Maybe? Simply it was all just so so. Those conversations they had about her… things being revealed about her and what they thought of her.. predictable in away, because what do you expect others to feel for the girl who lives her life like she’s “all that” when in fact isn’t? Add that I was little impressed by the guy’s part in the story. ‘Scarface’ she called him and he still did what he did for her? He is too perfect! But first: when maybe-dead girl talks to you, what do you do? Do you (a) Run for your life or (b) Have a conversation?I’d go with Before I Fall… though BETWIXT isn’t really about doing things over but seeing things for what they really are.2.5