isamlq

isamlq

The Space Between Us - Jessica Martinez 3.75/5I liked The space Between Us... even more than I did Virtuosity. It’s the people in it you see. Amelia, specifically, is written in so convincing a manner that I sympathized with her, was on her side almost one hundred percent of the time even when objectively speaking she’s as whiny and all woe is me as the next teenage angsty-girl. So much so that I liked her then disliked her and then found myself liking her again. I was with her early on and her assessing things: the whole needing to be mad and sad at the same time, even with her being religious, as it was never really the focus, was not even that big a deal. Basically, the girl is who she is and does what she does, so I enjoyed her story. Though enjoy is not quite apt. The girl thinks herself the anchor is a bit deluded in valuing her own self importance. That said, I got it when she’d be angry-bitter, but helpless in wanting to be there for her sister. And I was feeling her feeling angry ~Oh boy, was this girl angry!~ about getting the short end of things. Because objectively, she is a bit of brat, sometimes the mean girl/pretty girl who likes things going a certain way and holding people up to a standard that’s almost impossible. She was all those, and still I liked her. Her sister’s part in this was a revelation, too. What’s done, was at first, a tad melodramatic. But you see, what it allowed to happen, what happened later on showed a couple of extremes: the growing distance between the girls based on feeling let down as well as burdened, then those other moments on account to the friction between the two in not wanting to be in each other’s space? All of it so true. And as a little bonus Charly also proves that she’s more than the little sister to take care of, more than the flighty one who doesn’t give a fig about what others have to say and want. She proves that not everybody has to be certain way all the time…. So there’s a little bit of angry, then more and more of then angry, then this growing indifference of not wanting things to be how they turned out. Plus all that want/ need of one of them to feel needed, well… at least acknowledged. All of it’ was true. True. True. Making already complicated relationships more so! Because it’s not all bad, given there having been a genuine closeness. Only they trip themselves up, no she trips herself up (Amelia, that is) on petty (OK not-so-petty) jealousies and insecurities. You jumble all that up and their relationship, we see is not exactly quirky-unique, it’s more believable instead.All of them, Amelia, Charly, Bree and even the new guy… added a bit more to the drama level without making it to soap opera-esque. Because with the guy especially, a lot of her truths are laid out so that eventually where things went: it all made sense. Right now, I’m a happy camper as I’ve finally, finally, FINALLY got my hands on a decent YA contemporary read. This one’s full of people who act like assholes and do mean things, but are trying so darned hard just to get by instead of being dragged down by little issues they have with others and with themselves. It turns out this is my kind of book!3.75/5