isamlq

isamlq

Marco Impossible - Hannah Moskowitz There’s a brief moment in Marco Impossible that had me flashing back to Vada shouting that Thomas J couldn’t see without his glasses on -or maybe it was that he’d get cold without a jacket? I’m unclear on the details, but the emotion in that scene had my mother then sister sniffling, so out I came asking, “What? What? What?” And only upon rewind did I get it, then there I was sniff-sniffling right beside them. Anyway, reading Marco Impossible feeling like something like that was coming my way, well… I was half hesitant and half impressed. Hesitant because one can only see cute precocious Thomas bite it but once, but impressed too because this was turning out better than I expected out of an MG. The only reason I picked this up at all because of the author, whose last three books I have read and loved. In this one is yet another kid (kids, actually) who are different and see things, then feel things differently. Steven is nice, too nice even so much so that he gets pushed around by the so many people, most unexpectedly by his best friend. Steven sees things for what they are… at least up to a point. With his larger than life best friend who’s good and funny but not all the time, things get complicated…but even more complicated when considering that they’re all growing up with some of them more ready for that fact than others. And seeing that things are about to end, and other things about to start… they’ve begun their last thing together… And it’s cute and sweet what they decide to do, but Steven sees it in two different lights. On one had you see him seeing things as a kid growing up, they’re too old for this or that; then the other sweeter “I’ve got your back” side of things. And surprise, surprise: I loved both… because both are so true. But it’s more than their sweet cute adventure of planning things out then following things through, this is seeing people for who they are. Stevie is an OK guy and you’re on his side from the word go. Marco too is an OK guy. Though best friends being best friends, they both do see the good AND the not so good in the other. It’s when they start voicing these things out that had me seeing Thomas J all over again. Though that kids fate is not quite what you’ve got here…there is however a similarity in in emotions of growing up, having that one person that gets you , feeling like you’re responsible for the other, then feeling held back and maybe even frustrated over things done and not done, said and not said.Sweet book; sweet ending (even if it’s a tad too sweet to be real.) 4/5Thank you, Net galley!