isamlq

isamlq

Dare You To - Katie McGarry A high 2.5/5DARE YOU TO was… was… wasn’t as bad as the first one; I admit I I enjoyed it at points. I say so mainly because it’s not as trite and over dramatic as PUSHING THE LIMITS (which is worlds away from saying it wasn’t trite and over dramatic.)Ryan is golden boy and Beth… isn’t. An initial meeting that has them pegging the other as a certain thing and then the both of them proving each other right. One’s got to respect how easy it is to label the both of them with each living up to said labels. OK.. ok so the start was a bumpy one, and hey, so was the middle, and yes so was the ending, but why say I liked this better than the first at all? It’s a different kind of drama: both of them surviving dysfunctional families. Except where she’s hell bent on saving this one, he’s hell bent on not being like a certain other. The drama ups a notch with complications of who others think they are and who they are for those same.. . and thing almost breached the point of too much, please stop. However, when she finds herself in a town she thought she’d never see again, and he finds himself faced with a chance to right things as he saw them… well one can imagine were things were heading. And here’s the good (till it wasn’t, anymore): it’s not just a her and him story, though because for Beth, there’s her mother and friends –turned-family to think about and of course, old connections turning up when you least expect them. How things mesh on her side? Not too badly done. Her feeling s of not being good enough and knee jerk reaction to the same, well… it could have gotten old, except there are other in the picture: Ryan for instance. His part of it is a kid who knows what he wants and what he can do.. . but is conflicted on what matters. Less drama, more real; I was into this part of the story as well. till mentions of overbearing fathers and perfectionist mothers took that good feeling away. There’s only so much drama I can handle you know?This was a better read than the first, but has the same problems the former had as well. Too many things going on at once, too many missed chances where something could have been deeper revealed and other aspects could have been set aside… but OK, I liked it some of it.THANK YOU NET GALLEY!