isamlq

isamlq

Shades of Earth - Beth Revis Very cool. The different direction they took and those different sides they showed themselves capable of had them seeming more interesting to me, had the story go from interesting then frustrating then interesting again. Elder is no longer leader-confused, nor leader-determined, here he is who is, except it’s the same thing that had me feeling sad for him… sad for so many, many reasons, too. Amy about being gung ho then spunky and ready then questioning was only those things much later in this one… and that surprised me. Poor them, was what I was feeling. Poor Elder and the second fiddle feeling I was getting for him. Poor Elder, as he should have paid better attention to all those Orion warnings. Poor Elder, and the hand his dealt with Amy… And then Amy! Where’d she go to in this one? With daddy and mommy in the picture she’s all ‘Daddy does no wrong’ and blablabla. Frustrating and more than a little disappointing, that is 'till a sliver of her old questioning, suspicious, independent-self would peep through, but in the mean time Elder’s left feeling unsure and showing more and more of his old insecurities. All made slightly worse with the presence of Chris and the unexpected/unwanted development he played in their love lives. Oh, Chris, of the ‘where the hell did he come from variety?’ Seriously, though… him and her together, added an unnecessary complication. Unneeded, in the face of everything else Elder and Amy had to contend with already:-Questions of new world with would-be-monsters versus walls and known limitations. -Then puzzles of slaves or soldiers. -Or even then issues on parental approval and then insecurity of who/where/when for people in the grand scheme of things. Complicated, no? Love triangles, just don’t factor… and thank the stars, the book agreed, because the love thing might have been there, but it didn’t detract much from what mattered. What mattered? New world, unknown threat(s) and more than one impressive twist in the story. With them having reached their goal, that question this one starts with, that question of MONSTERS por WALLS sounded the beginning of what was obviously going to be a conflict riddled story. It didn’t disappoint. And as usual, I loved that… that there’s something to settle, but that it’s not just one person telling all of them to do one certain thing, but him doing as he’d set out from the get: think and choose then do what feels right for you… and they do/did. Even more lovely? Their decision isn’t the endas it’s followed up with more and more things happening to them/because of them… and then more and more questions/then doubts are heaped on one, two… all of them. Really though, it’s the start that was the strongest moment in this one. MONSTERS OR WALLS? Bottom line (again?) I enjoyed this, how it’s not just me on this side and you on the other for them, but more like them surrounded. Unsure of who to trust of what to do and for whom…simply, their reality is there’s more than one threat to pay attention to. It’s most true where Elder’s concerned as it’s him standing between his people and a new authority, him in said position in an unknown place… then him in the more personal realm, questioning what he and Amy have, which was sweet/annoying/sad all in one… he’s not at all simple lead at all. Start aside, he is the biggest positive in this one which is sadly not what I’ve to say for his counterpart. Where, oh, where had spunky Amy gone? Except if you consider that there’s more than one wrong choice made, a couple of missed calls, and then some staggering loses then betrayals that have them all blind sided. Well, it balances out. All of it’s so very cleverly laid out and not always easy to figure out. Except one wonders, if those dead staying dead would have been the wiser more honest way to go? The ending simply has me split… on one hand surely some smile-y moments were called for, on the other… no way could things have been that easy!3.5/5