isamlq

isamlq

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1) - Jessica Sorensen That ending is so unfair! Just when I was a catching a glimpse of whatever it was that was wowing people in this, it ended…and so brutally at that. For a good part of the book, I felt there was nothing new in this one: -What with the leads both messed up and coping as well as wanting more for the other and then with neither one perfect in acting/ reacting the way they did. -Nor was there anything spectacularly new about the sidekicks. One the gay one and the other smart but smart enough about other things. -Nothing new either in either one of them running away from some big, bad and scary emotional moment, (though frankly I feared this bit a little too much, bordering on over the top…) AND YET, here I am shaky over the prospect of having to wait God knows how long for the sequel. Why you may ask, a it’s a combination of the switching POV’s, remarkable “normal” sounding characters and the very last portion of the book that had everything come together- all tense then intense, but only to be cut short by the most _____ thing ever: a cliffhanger!So, here's the Good:That switch in POV from her to him allowed a clear view why they acted the way they did… even when what they were doing didn’t sound the right thing to do. There’s not a perfect character in sight in this one. In fact, they’re perfectly imperfect. And perfect for each other, as it turns out. Plus, it’s dark, these two with their past and their memories. Maybe even too dark? Because like other books of this type (TAKING CHANCES … any Glines’ book out there…. or a Reinhardt book, too) have proven: there is such a thing as TOO MUCH drama. Except in this case, in all that drama, we’ve two people not necessarily facing up to their past, but not always being held back by it either... well more so for him than her. There’s more to them than there past even if said past makes up a big part of what makes them them. I'm rambling, aren't I? My point? They’ve got a past that’s not so wonderful, but they're each living as best they could.. or trying to at least. Now what was truly great about this book? Those moments right before that cliffy. (And yes, maybe even that cliffy... because it's still got me all riled up!) Anyway the moments preceding that? They had me drawn tight and scared for him/her and wondering for him/her… intense moments that impressed me. And truth be told, I wasn’t expecting much from this save a swoony moment or two…and then I got this. Dark. Tense. Heavy thing that could have gone soap opera dramatic but was prevented from becoming thus with leads whose voices rang clear and whose pasts explain a lot of why they are the way they are. And OK there’s those sexy moments, too. 3/5