isamlq

isamlq

The Indigo Spell - Richelle Mead 3.5/5At last! If like me, you were wondering over the connection between Adrian and Syd, well, wonder no more! It’s clear what he sees in her. In fact at every possible moment he waxes poetic about her being the flame in his darkness, and though that particular turn of phrase might have your gag reflex kicking in with it sounding too sappy-sweet-corny, personally I was glad... because gone was Adrian the Mopey/Moody. What I loved about him in VA was his easy confidence, his ability to charm (me) even when he was goof; that version of him is back and with a vengeance, might I add. He’s less the guy getting over a Rose, and more the charming easy going fellow who had charmed me before. And why? He’s all about Sydney now. Him saying so time and again is what made more believable the connection between the two. I really couldn’t see what he saw in her with all her little hang ups about being too big or her needing so and so’s approval. Here he describes her in a way that’s not at all untrue but most definitely flattering. Basically, I could see and was buying the idea of a ‘them’ now. Better is how the story is really about them this time and less about people from days stories gone by. It’s not ‘that dude from way back’ when, but more of us seeing them and their story together.And what a story it was! Interesting, how Sydney and magic come to play in this one. If the scary mentor type is not enough, why not throw in scary power hungry ___-stealing witch into the mix? How Sydney’s sucked into that particular mess to begin with was a bit of a stretch, but it was interesting nonetheless as it’s what allowed the girl her to explore more of what she’s so unwilling to explore. Then come to the idea of exploring,Sydney of old is completely absent here. Follow the leader? Not quite. She’s become more than just stick in the mud goody-goody with innumerable hang ups. Sure she’s alchemist but she’s also one with loyalties of the unconventional type… those and those doubts and questions that need answering? All that have her following a path toward another just like her in Marcus Finch. Only was he like her, really? I worried over possibilities of triangles with his introduction… when I shouldn’t have. How he plays into the story opens up even more avenues for her and the story. All said, this was fast, easy fun, and finally… after the first two installments: electric.