isamlq

isamlq

The Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp Perspective. Someone in this book needs it. Then there's that ending that has me wanting. Wanting things to be better, wanting -him to be better, but also knowing both these thing unlikely. What got to me early on in the book (through out the book in fact) is that it was sad how funny Sutter could be when not much else in this is actually funny. His obscure references to this or their random out there discussions could not disguise this. The kid simply broke my heart (that ending simply broke it apart even more) and why? We see how he is- life of the party, everyone's buddy, joy joy joy, in sharp contrast to what he's not acknowledging- that there is a problem; that he has issues. Then we see others with him. How he pulls a certain other in- one who's just as lost as he is. Throwing Aimee in, and seeing how things progressed for her? 'Twas distressing.... and since Spectacular Now is anything but an easy book, we see this guy then we see this girl. Polar opposites? Maybe and maybe not. Perhaps it's because she's so different from him (hopeful, sweet and yes naive) but not completely different either (being weighed down as she was and given a past that's not all roses) that had her standing out in this one. But this isn't your typical love story... it's not a love story at all. It's Sutter, comedic, compelling, electric narrator, that he is, who drew me in. But it's the interaction with the people around him that kept at me. Them seeing him do what he was doing and him almost through their eyes? The kid was simply heartbreaking. The thing is, I want another ending. Again, I'm heartbroken over his methods.. but it's also his method that has me seeing how 'real' he was. That he is far from perfect and trying to do the right thing the best way he knows how. It just so happens that that 'best' way is one part 'the right thing' (and that's tough) and another part 'the selfish thing' (making it even tougher to swallow.) Contradictory, I know... but it's just.. This book!4.5/5