isamlq

isamlq

Just Like Fate - Cat Patrick, Suzanne Young Just Like Fate was an OK read... neither as emotionally wrenching as that other movie that offers a view on a woman's could be's, nor as exciting as the other YA on the same kick I read recently (Pivot Point). It's simply another book on decisions made seemingly unimportant but are in fact anything but. The tiniest thing can change everything. That laid down, I'm tempted to say that the splitting here's almost laughably simple. Both options presented, however, have differing combinations of persons around the lead and its the interplay in either side that made for interesting, albeit simple contrast.I'd say laughably simple because on one side we have her liking her sister, on the other not at all. Then on one side she's run away, built up something new but is faced with other problems; contrast to her staying, building up something new as well, then facing other issues. Yet no matter which side she's living, her 'negatives' were in full view. Then things spiraled.But the simple splits notwithstanding there is one clear thing in this that I did not like. Things in this run along the lines of Obvious. Obviously, she should be with so and so because... duh. And obviously, so and so was a douche.. so why bother? My point: there's a lack of depth here. I mean past the initial 'Should I stay or Should I go' and grandmother closeness on her part, things got tedious in how good it was on one side then how down things were in the other and that's even when something bad and something good are thrown in each respectively! In fact there really was no choice to be made between her Staying and going, between sisters and friends and most specially, between one boy over another when the flaws in one are so blatant... the good of one side stacked heavily against the sads of the other. Needless to say, I thought the boy drama a simple matter of her opening her eyes to who was who. And on family drama, twas also a matter of opening her eyes but this time to what she brought to the table (and didn't.) In the end, I will say it was interesting but there are tons of other stuff that have dealt with the topic better (see way up there for reference)Much thanks, Edelweiss2.75/5