isamlq

isamlq

The Piper's Son - Melina Marchetta I haven’t read Saving Francesca yet… but from reading reviews of it, it seemed Tom MacKee was quite the guy. So to say that I was excited to get started on his story might be an understatement. I love Melina Marchetta; she and John Green are probably two of my favorite YA contemporary writers. Now, to categorize The Piper's Son as just YA would be doing it a slight disservice because it is so much more than that! It’s about friendship and all the stuff attached to that. It’s about family and all the complications that come out of that. But it all boils down to being connected. Tom and Georgie, his dad’s twin sister. Georgie and her twin brother. Tom and the memory of his uncle Joe, Georgie and Joe's little brother. Georgie and Sam. Georgie and her friends. Tom and Francesca. Tom and Tara. etc... See? Connections.I have not cried so much over a book in a long time… yes, a tear or two for a couple of books over the last couple of weeks… but I was bawling like a baby because of Tom. So one point I’m crying then the next moment I’m laughing. Melina Marchetta is amazing. I get her writing. I get her characters. The plot should not work. Everything is so sad. Everyone is so broken but it works. It just does. And that’s why I am in awe of Melina Marchetta. She takes these ordinary people. She writes of the circumstances they find themselves in ~ circumstances that are ordinary and sad, then she works it out so there’s hope. Add the fact that I really felt like I knew where both Tom and Georgie were coming from. I’d go, “That’s me” or “I do that sometimes.” In other words, I could be a total asshole just like they acted sometimes. But that's not all they were, they'd be sweet, affectionate, loud, loving, and laughing from one moment to another. In a word? Real.