isamlq

isamlq

Looking for Alaska - John Green I was looking through reviews of Looking for Alaska to see if I was the only one who thought it awesomely hilarious and touching. As well as to see exactly where to start my review: a quote perhaps? Nah. A synopsis was a given, but I just couldn't reduce Looking into a paragraph or two without oversimplifying it. Then I came across this, "Inane, juvenile story about teenagers going to private school in Alabama. Meandering, silly, vapid, pointless, etc.” My reaction? Ouch. Ouch and ouch some more. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose… and I’d probably still have read Looking despite said review because of said review. But still, “Ouch, ouch and ouch” because I thought LOOKING was really good. Scratch that. I thought it was great. One would think that the story of a boy moving to a dorm in Alabama would be a tame coming of age tale. It wasn’t. Believe me. Not a page went by without me laughing. The kind of laughter that's so loud, people next door rap on the wall to get you to shut up. What is Looking about? Miles… Alaska… Friendship… Coming of Age… We know that Mile collects last words. He is boring. He has never done anything exciting. He has just moved away from home to find his “Great Perhaps.” He meets a bunch of non-weekend warriors and joins their ranks. He meets Alaska. He develops a crush on Alaska. and so on and so forth, but what makes LOOKING great? First, it’s realistically written. The language was that of teenagers’ and I felt it. The way the story is told from Miles POV, made me like him more: his thoughts of her, his self deprecating humor~ all there on display. Then, Miles, Alaska, and Chip are all quirky and are very individual: Miles the zero-life-experience boy rooms with Chip, the Colonel who happens to be friends with Alaska, Mile’s dream girl. Last (and mainly,) Green doesn’t take the easy way out by resorting to a happy ending… rather we’ve got characters who deal with what happens in their own way.