isamlq

isamlq

The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy) - Sherry Thomas and thank you, Edelweis!!I really, really, really enjoyed THE BURNING SKY from actual moments of consideration on whether knowing a guy for a split is worth setting aside self preservation to authentically funny moments on wands, wand sizes and what one did with the same? It's a fun read made even better by a couple of things like the 'new' feeling world of both their magic: hers the elemental and his the subtle; all the while the both hidden in the midst of the ordinary. Two things are hidden here actually: her from whomever, then their magical world from the non magical one. How it's all bridged is what I loved...because all those details to consider? Absolutely delightful!As an introduction, I'd say this works pretty well. As we've got the lay of the land on who's on one side and who's on the other. And sure we do see a lot of things being done to mold her, and to have him fulfill certain destinies, but we've also less on actual confrontations... which surprisingly wasn't such a bad thing. Why? As mentioned it's allowed so many details of the magical sort to seep through, making each moment with the pair of them even more interesting. The magical aside, the two of them are darling characters! Him with his I don't want this but I must heaviness... and her with I want this but don't know how. Then mix those with other moments of honesty about dishonesty! Confused? Never you mind, as this is what allows for friction between them... and so, this is me, entertained. The love bit was not wholly unexpected, but for what it's worth, them together was entertaining. They're a throw back to all those Japanese romantic comedies I used to watch with girls hiding in plain sight and what not. It was funny, they were fun and the magic world/ system in this one new, different especially when considering the crucible and what it could do.3.5/5