isamlq

isamlq

On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta Let me start with what's important: I want a Griggs. I know this akin to saying the protagonist is "hawt," and does nothing for a "critical" review. BUT I'm not being critical right now. This is all envy speaking. When Taylor said she was happy because she had an aunt and a Griggs.. in my heart of hearts, I was going, “I want a Griggs of my own too!” My favorite moment is when Griggs goes off, “I’m here because of you. You’re my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked up way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell yes, but I don’t think that will be happening in my lifetime.” That moment just turned me into mush.It’s my second time with this, and still this is me after reading it: This book... …is complicated. …is an emotional maze. …has heart. …is yet another reason, Melina Marchetta is one of my favorite authors.Jellicoe Road takes on a trip through Taylor Markhams complicated life. That’s it. I’m stopping there. For me to give justice to this book in a summary is next to impossible.. So I won't even try.It's a maze of emotion. Turn one corner and pow, you’re crying; turn another and you’re perplexed… but through it all there’s this undercurrent of tension because you know somewhere in it is sort of collision. And even if you had connected the who’s and had pieced the what’s together, by the time the actual revelation is in your face, you are still taken aback. This was my first Melina Marchetta book, and it’s still my favorite. The beginning was a muddle to be honest, but by the book’s end you forgive it that one fault. Because like its characters, you can’t be anything but forgiving and thankful.