isamlq

isamlq

Another Little Piece - Kate Karyus Quinn Mother of Mike! What did I just read?! The confusion! Slipping from one point of view to the next then not knowing who’s talking about what just egged me on instead of frustrating me. Especially when whole stretches of said confusion were punctuated by something terrible (Pink sneakers, I will never think of you the same way again.) I’m not kidding when I said this was no RIVER FLOWS IN YOU read. IT was paying in the background all smooth, mellow, and never failing to get a tear from me. (the feels because of that song!) But this one? Nope. Definitely, not any of those. It’s dark. Then it’s darker. Plus it’s confusing. Yet lo! I was sucked in. It opens with her walking along a road not knowing who she is, taken in then talking to the police. Things get more confusion as we meet “the dad” then “the mom” then all these other people who knew her from before, a boy like Logan, then a boy like Dex, then girl like Gwen… all painting her to be not the popular kid, but not the unpopular kid either. And just when I thought I had a handle on who’s playing what, I'd be wrong. Because flashbacks and maybe memories of hers (maybe not hers) popped in. A host of memories that explain what may have come to pass, of how there’s this thing in her... and that she isn’t just Annaliese Rose Gordon, or worse, that maybe she’s not Annaliese Rose Gordon, after all. I liked it because just when things were falling into place, they didn't fall quite right so that I was scrambling to figure out if what I read was what I'd just read and if I was imagining things right. I also liked how she’s not the only odd here. Dex has his own brand of specialness that made it easy to see what she saw because the guy is sweet but equally damaged. It’s just for him, he knew his damage. Then those midnight road trips and scary people to confront then scarier people to return to? Interesting but I must admit: confusing, too. The Physician bit especially, with the lack of information on who he was and all those other elements that had me wanting/needing more but aware that I was likely not to get those answers. A lot like the cigarette smoking guy in X-Files, you know his there but don’t know why he's there. Yes, the Physician is very much like that.I liked this, confusion and all.Thank you, Edelweiss! 3.5