isamlq

isamlq

Unbreakable - Elizabeth Norris This read like a summer blockbuster. And I liked it. It’s fast, action filled, with twists you don’t quite expect all made even more enjoyable with a lead that made sense. She’s a softer version of what I recall from book one, though. She’s still thinking and still doing but everything she’s gone through has added a layer of vulnerability to her. Yet there she was leading the way and doing what needed doing, so that while she’s pining for what’s gone and what could have been and what she wants, she’s still present. I love how the necessities aren’t drowned out by maybe love conquering all or even by love lost.I enjoyed this even more with each reveal into other people’s character: how one maybe not so perfect after all, and another might not be so bad either, yet all the while there’s Janelle being who she was… thinking, being, doing not consumed over what’s not there, or who’s not there.But it’s certain others proving themselves more, that allowed more of the excitement happen. Her world’s been destroyed and people were going missing, then a blast from the past in the form of Barclay, and you just know that there’s a connection somewhere somehow. Despite the an unlikely pairing here, it’s one that I was glued to because the same made it clear that this girl would do what she had to. So while there are some proving themselves capable of more, there’s some others screwing up in the major sense... A surprise moment of me choked up is what happened after. I seriously wasn’t expecting moments like this. I mean this has men in black types, and here I was getting misty eyed? You caught me unawares Norris… good on you.Anyway. Portal jumping. The sci-fi feel of these books just got stronger, with more things happening beyond her world, but it’s not just the portal jumping, multiple universes that made this a different read, there’s that mystery of what’s happening now, and why/how does Ben/ Janelle figure into the scheme of things. And the scheme in this one, ‘twas a grand one indeed, at times a bit convoluted with not all aspects explained, but darned it, it entertained me!