isamlq

isamlq

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey 3.5/5Run= Die. Stay= Die.Though the ending left me wanting more, there’s a whole lot of awesome in this one. > In a girl whose tough she’s amazing that way. Especially, when you factor in her moments despair over the lack of options, then a little after that the more surprising moments of just picking up and doing what needs doing. Then the darker instances of her questioning.>In a boy who’s been following orders and taught certain truths, that in the end aren’t quite that either. How he’s not all there and then how he and others follow along and do.>And in a grand scheme that’s equal parts diabolical and sensible. It’s in the step one, two three.. that you wonder ‘why’… and only beat later, wonder ‘why not?’ It’s a throw back to the Matrix this one with humans as virus to be purged that’s not that new, it’s in the how to that’s shocking. There are bits in this that were spectacular. No, scratch that there were whole stretches in this that gripped me. I dog-eared a couple of pages because I couldn’t be bothered to get up and fish out a marker … that’s how good things got. Being in their heads to be specific is what did it. Their heads are dark places, and had me feeling a little of THIS IS NOT A TEST all over again. Terrified for them but curious about what they’d do next then curious about what was in store for each of them.Another aspect is how small their world got and how everything, themselves especially had changed. How one links to another then another and how some in that chain are unaware of said link and what they all do in the meantime. Then there were other bits I couldn’t grasp. One bit specifically was beyond me despite her simplifying matters in terms of bad guy falling for so and so. I wasn’t buying it and couldn’t see if she was or wasn’t buying it either. It’s a twist that proves they’re all not just what I’d pegged them to be at first. She isn’t older sister desperate to keep a promise, he isn’t just the guy who’s drilled a certain way to see things and do things a certain way either… even Sammy, he isn’t just little Sammy. Then the Others… I could have done with a bit more detail. Because what’s clear is things aren’t simple on their side either; there’s more to them that must needs revealing.Good stuff!