isamlq

isamlq

Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley I swear I'm trying not to gush but you don't know how happy I am to have read this. It's a little after dawn... (and having started this at one in the morning,) that's maybe four or five hours of me sitting here unable to pull my eyes from this one. I'd been waiting for this for so long and now that I've read sped through it, I'm pumped and happy. Graffiti Moon is why I read YA. Once in a while I come across a story that stands out against others. Crappy past reads aren't so lackluster, don't seem all that crappy because there are books like these that simply leave me feeling happy and satisfied. I swear I'm trying not to gush but I loved every moment of this, even when someone had screwed up, was screwing up and was just about to screw up. (side note: my favorite moments were the bike scenes... all the bike moments!) Everyone who's ever added this book to their favorites pile is absolutely right to do so and this is another addition to my growing fave list. I barely finished the third chapter and already I could tell what was going to happen, and yet... I loved it and enjoyed them. GM totally makes my week! The sentiment's probably been said time and again, but this makes me want to move to Australia! To the book: Shadow paints and speaks through his work. And while its his images that first draw our girl in, its his thoughts and hers and Leo's that pulled me in. Even the shortest and simplest of exchanges were loaded. But more likely it's the characters that I loved. All of them were perfect in how flawed they were: Again, I swear I'm trying not to gush, but good golly, I enjoyed these people! Ed is talented and smart but doesn't know it, and he's scared. Leo is brave but sometimes foolishly so. Lucy is focused, sometimes too focused that she misses out on what's right in front of her. But instead of being annoyed by these flaws, I got drawn in. While there were moments of sweet and of funny it's that they read possible and real that I couldn't get out of my head. They're what I look for in YA. Rather than being Kens and Barbies, they're people figuring out what their next move would be. They were all flawed but not too imperfect because they did have a sweetness to them... even stupid Dylan and his eggs! As I felt after reading A Little Wanting Song, I find Cath Crolwey has a way with words that she writes smart and clever stories with characters who ring truthful and with heart. ****Lines I liked (for one reason or another...)"Most times I look at Shadow and Poet's work, I see something different from what the words are telling me. I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what's on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird." “I get this heavy feeling when I daydream about him. I’m not awake and I’m not asleep, I’m in a soft blue corridor that runs between the two,""I liked that he had hair growing wihout a plan. A smile that came out of nowhere and left the same way""It's like the sun during an eclipse. I know it'll blind me but I have to look."“You were right. Real is better. The truth is better. It makes you feel kind of stupid but it’s better.”4.5/5BIG THANKS NETGALLEY!!!