isamlq

isamlq

Eat, Brains, Love - Jeff Hart I got a kick out of what kind of boy Jake is in this one. He read like a dog… and I don’t mean the douche baggy type either, but more like the easily distracted dog-mind as in is that a bouncy bunny that I see? I also got a kick out of how inappropriate he could be and how honestly lazy he was. He took nothing seriously! And it was funny; he was funny (most of the time) when it/he wasn’t too annoying. Then there’s the girl who while lacking in the personality that Jake possessed was a little interesting given what she could do and what she was doing with the same. So there he was eating brains… and there she is keeping tabs on his. (She’s psychic, you see.) So we’re switching FROM the funny moments of Jake with the hot girl and them getting used to their new reality TO Cass and her secret world that’s very Men in Black in feel except with scarier men with bow ties and father figure types as well as former beauty queens and muscle men. That Cass is different is an understatement, understanding how she was where she was, was fun then funnier especially as we consider the Family thing they had going for them. But I feel we’ve barely scratched the surface as to what she’s got to offer because where Jake’s go with the flow kind of guy… all funny when he shouldn’t be, drooling over (a) the hot girl or (b) someone’s brains, well… she? She’s a bleeding heart I suppose, feeling sorry for this and that even when she doesn’t mean to, and then forming attachments to this and that especially when she shouldn’t. It’s an aspect of her that had me split because when we first meet her, she’s very matter of fact over the blood and gore she’d deal with day in day out….only to have her change her tune upon “meeting” Jake. (I didn’t quite get that.) That aside, what we do learn of her world and his world were entertaining things if a bit lacking in detail… maybe because the lot of them don’t know all the details themselves. So zombies are real, the more interesting thing: the varying degrees zombiehood and how they’d up a level… All of it’s a different kind of undead. And I liked it. Funny stuff... (sometimes.)Thank you, Edelweiss!