isamlq

isamlq

Where the Stars Still Shine - Trish Doller It’s a mash up of Dessen and Elizabeth Scott of unexpected sweet family moments for someone with baggage galore except this read older, especially in the romance department. But first, to the good. She’s torn between what she’s known for such a long time: not happy but not broken over where she finds herself. I like the whole thing of her being who she is: loyal but angry, especially as she knows who’s been doing the saving all along. I like that she knew what she could do and not do and there were moments too, where she’d question where she should be, for whom and why. These conflicting sides: that she wouldn’t be who she was and where she was if not for the decisions of others, but then she’s given a choice… and boom: me, sucked in because while some of this was good, a whole lot more was different. Sometimes she’d be all old soul, other times she’d be little girl lost, or other times still, she’d be both. She’s no innocent, growing up, raising herself has done that… but moments of this make her innocent because she doesn’t know how to be like the rest of them. That she’s different is truth and some of her choices had me fearing the path she was going… but she went anyway. Then there’s the guy whose connection to her had me questioning the set up a little more, because while she wasn’t like the kids her age, she still was… a kid, I mean. And he… wasn’t baggage free either. So them together, did I want them together or not? Only then I see that they’re nothing that simple. Nothing about her and about the people she’d found herself with was simple… And darn it, I really liked this one even if I cant say that I enjoyed it because moments had me wondering at what the heck she was getting herself into, other moments still had me tearing up for her, no, for all of them. This is how she’s her own woman, not kid. First, there’s how she read like a kid in the not knowing and the being unsure, but then there’s another aspect where she’d turn things around in doing what worked for her. Good contrast that make for a lead who’s more than interesting. THANK YOU, M!