isamlq

isamlq

This Song Will Save Your Life - Leila Sales Warming up to this was slow. And even when I was starting to like the MC, something had me shifting back to being unsure. >Truth: I didn’t love the MC with her initial intro of ‘poor, poor me’. >Another Truth: Me liking her was not aided by that odd split in her. How come? On one hand she knew herself and what she had to offer (except who knew ‘precocious’ could get so annoying?) Wait… back to my point: on the one hand she’s totally aware of who she is and what she had to offer so that she worked hard and did well in what she put herself in. Yet there’s that other bit of her that’s desperate to be part of something. It was back and forth with her here. But perhaps I’m fine with that (more than fine, even) because there’s a slow change in her. FROM being the kid who knew it all TO the kid finding herself. FROM the kid seeing what she lacked TO the kid seeing more. Truth, yet again: Despite how many times she said she did this and did that, and loved this or loved that, her perspective is limited. She knew some of her truth but was also painfully aware of the perception others of her. It’s the latter that had her messed up. Her, overly concerned about what others say and what others (don’t do) is what complicates what’s already complicated. Except every time I thought I’d had my fill of her… she’d go and say an honest thing, or an accurate thing, or hell even a funny thing… they warranted a few more moments of consideration (even with all those little self-affirmations (I am great. I am liked. I am loved. Pfftt.) that felt like a farce considering how she was. And how was that? Two lives, one where she’s a doormat with the bully girls and bully boys pegging her as someone less and her (sadly) buying into it; and another of her beyond that with her open and brave and smart~ though not as smart as I’d have liked he to be as there’s tons of things she proves she had to learn. Her little quips of having missed the hand book on being a real person? Accurate… no, honest, because on either side, she’s incomplete. It’s a split that’s difficult to bridge… but was that the point? Her piecing herself together; seeing for ‘Truth’ that she doesn’t have to be just one or just the other, but could be both or all or someone else. She’s not precocious girl or DJ extraordinaire, or the friendless girl, or the know it all. She could be all of that or none of that. Like Char who could be charming and then turn around and be not-so-charming after all. Like her friends could be her friends even when she didn’t quite get them. None of the people in this are simple. Not all of them do what you want them to do. Some of them are simply awesome; then the others who others you want to shake sense into. THANK YOU, NETGALLEY!