isamlq

isamlq

Truly, Madly, Deadly - Hannah Jayne Another short(ish) review on my part, in keeping with the notion that if you've got nothing nice to say, you might as well shush-up (up to a point, I suppose.) Truly, Madly, Deadly was OK. The pace was OK. The bits and pieces leading up to the reveal, so-so as well. BUT I feel it's missed out on some great possibilities, with that blurb that had me imagining flashbacks of her unhappiness contrasted to a present that's not quite the happy one either. Both are present, but not quite what I was wanting. Here there are mentions of what her past was like, but mostly it's her shoving back the unhappiness she's lived through, because mostly it's her still hiding her secret. In the mean time we've an odd mix of ordinary drama coinciding with scarier moments (moments. that's plural, just so we're clear.) So on one end, we've parental split, teetering grades, plus the even more typical YA new-boy interest. Then on the other, we've got "You're welcome's" from some stalker type waiting creepily... somewhere.That said, there's nothing 'different' here. (No matter how hard I wish there was!) It's all laid out, who she's going to suspect, what she's going to, what the next horror she's suffer will be. You can guess when and what now and all that... and that's the problem, isn't it? That there's really not that much different to this from other books of the same type. Or perhaps it's that there's something lacking here... something to give the mysterious stalker thing going on here its extra 'Oomph.' Or perhaps it's that there's too much of the annoying in all of them? Specifically, their refusal to let the girl get in a word edgewise! (I'd have felt like I was coming unhinged, too!)Overall, this was... OK, but it was missing that something extra, so that I'm feeling 'Glad that's over' instead of wowed now that I'm done.