isamlq

isamlq

The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater I shouldn’t love any of them: Gansey and his absolute perfection; Ronan and all his tortured soul self; Noah and his there but not there moments; or even Adam and his choices(s). But like Blue I couldn’t get enough of them. I loved them for all those very reasons but mainly because MS has me impressed over her skill in taking typical little set ups and making them all “more.” Again with the writing… it’s what has me drunk in the outcome. I shouldn’t have loved any of them. Because strip them all down, we have a hot head, a rich kid, and another out of his element (well, two actually). Plus one girl looking in. Yet the way she writes them has them clicking perfectly, that what one lacked the others made up for (and sometimes brought out). The playfulness I wanted has become more obvious; more tender feelings as well as the opposite dark ones have come out, too. And I’m feeling slightly giddy that I just read all of it.MS has upped the ante here. It all felt bigger somehow. Bigger in what they’re all feeling; more dire in the consequences… of everything; and simply, darker and moodier overall. Darker elements of what haunt Ronan takes up a good portion in this one, but another aspect is darkness as it related to Adam and what drove him is here, too. So, while all the boys have defined roles to play, while all are very “Individual”; here it’s made clear that not one of them has the market cornered on what’s dark. Bottom line: with Ronan and Adam at the front, this book’s taken on a darker vibe. And I loved every bit of it! From the romance (but not quite), to Blue and decisions in the making. From Ronan and how not “nice” he could be, to Adam and Gansey and their particular connection, it all just worked.The quest for the kings not over, yet they’re each de-railed somehow. And with a hit man who’s not shy about what he does as well as Blue’s family that’s always been out there, this group of kids who’re being looked on even as they look in on thing s they don’t have … all of them have each their individual stories woven together in this odd-but not odd, scary-but not really read. And man… it’s all in the writing! This was simply delicious to read. I want to make movie comparison to how the odd-scary is made plausible and never once never boring. But I’m coming up blank. It’s far fetched in conception but otherwise real in the emotion with connections propelling things on. Because that’s this book: the far fetched made real, of boys and their quests that they all should be too old for; and of girls and boys and the places they have for each other. I think the best things here is how it isn’t a love story for her, well, not mainly, at least. It’s more the friendship as well as the outside looking in thing that’s here. So, Ms. Maggie Stiefvater, have I said I love you yet? Because I do. Your writing especially.