isamlq

isamlq

Not a Drop to Drink - Mindy McGinnis Not a Drop to Drink is ballsy… well, ballsy to an extent. It’s taken a couple of familiar post apocalyptic themes and if possible made them less frou-frou than other YA books have. It’s stark in the manner of telling; there’s simplicity in the way the girl leads her life so that when all those changes happened things became –not urgent- but charged. Her reality is simple: What’s ours is ours is ours… so that even the makings of a romance did not stop the ugly here. Like, I said. Ballsy. And I liked it. So, her reality: a simple one; her past simpler, if at all possible. Except not once did this become boring. The best part her and her mother together. Her “Mother”(and I’m still hearing it in my head in the same way Norman Bates would) raised her to be self reliant.... but it’s this that’s put to test time and time again as more and more people entered her world. All these outside people with stories of cities and sickness and population control? I would have loved a bit more information on that end, except even without, the story is clear: she’s on the outskirts, surviving as she’s been taught… only to realize that she’s not as “alone” as first pegged. Yet, contrast what she’s told to how she’s living her life, and it almost doesn’t matter. The background of why the world is the way it is woven in cleverly, and just enough to have me picturing a highly structured/ controlled one, little else, but the same is almost immaterial to how she’s living hers. There are a couple of things touched upon early on, yet they’re dropped almost completely (see that man and Lucy and what they could do) but it’s the ending that makes up for it. The ending is so unexpectedly… unexpected. (Yes, I’m so very helpful, I know.) But really, I’m struggling not to spoil it because the ending is one of the most remarkably different things about this book.