isamlq

isamlq

I Hunt Killers

I Hunt Killers - Nothing's wanting in this one. This one has a boy who’s is so afraid of turning out like his father. Only for him, the fear is absolutely justified given that dear old Dad was a serial killer. I HUNT KILLERS felt fresh; Jazz’ voice, so new, different that I feel like I’d give either of my kidneys to get my hands on the next one. Even the typical YA conflict of figuring out his father’s truth wasn’t typically handled at all in this one. Since we all know his father’s truth from the word go, it was Jazz running away from the same that had things moving along. I liked them though I didn’t expect to do so. Jazz is the biggest surprise in this aspect because I liked him even with some similarities with douche-y YA love interests: He is cocky, manipulative and so sure of himself but also so deathly afraid of his possibilities given his history. Add the fact that he is smart in an unlikely kind of way, but he always had this humor that kept me in my place nonetheless. All of them in fact had a certain humor to them. This was never more obvious than when Jazz was with Howie. On Howie: at first, I felt that this character read like the typical (best)friend character. The one in over his head but too loyal to do anything about it? The one most likely to get the short end; the same fact that would propel the main guy to later do something previously not considered. The more I think about it, the more I have to concede that most these things held true for Howie. BUT… and this is important: I didn’t mind. Their interaction, as well as Jazz with Connie, allowed Jazz to be less scary... and I kid you not when I say this protag’s thoughts, could get a bit uncomfortable in the bloody/scary/gory kind of way.And holy hell! I hope I wasn’t alone with my hair standing on end every time he'd flash to something from his past. The last moments were especially scary in what could have happened. I am still imagining things how things could have gone down.I want the next one now... Seriously.