isamlq

isamlq

Paper Covers Rock

Paper Covers Rock - Jenny Hubbard on paper covers rock, literal references, symbolism and deep, deep thoughts aside, this is not my favorite book. for starters, alex, its sixteen year old narrator doesn’t feel like he is a sixteen year old. the story focuses on the aftermath of thomas’ drowning, it touches a lot on what alex sees and how he feels. among his many, many feelings are what he feels for his English teacher. how he put words to paper, how he put things in general showed a very introspective almost too mature voice. it’s not one I’d expect out of a teenager living in a dorm. but perhaps that was the purpose? to show how such an event (as what had happened to thomas) could have the likes of alex folding into himself away from the typical. that said, I felt no real connection to him because mainly, it all got a bit tiresome. note that it’s all really well written, all those allusions and references were clever little bonuses, how the story was told, of going from past to present and back again, while not a new things was a clever way to go.2.5-3/5